The Phoenix Cement Company commenced operations at the plant in October 1959.
It was built to supply cement to the Glen Canyon Dam project near Page, Arizona. Originally the plant was built with the intention of dismantling it after completion of the project. As work progressed, new projections of growth in Arizona led the company to continue operation of the plant and eventually expand it in 1962.
In 1987, Phoenix Cement was purchased by its current owners, the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.
Upgrades in almost every phase of the cement operation have led to great improvements in quality, production, and safety. In 1999, Phoenix Cement’s Clarkdale plant was rated the safest plant in North America, with almost eight years of no lost time accident free operation.
The Verde Gypsum Mine was purchased in 1998, giving Phoenix Cement an assured, local source of raw material.
With state-of-the-art kiln and milling systems, Phoenix Cement is well positioned to meet the challenges of the construction industry.
Today, the company has completed a major modernization project that has changed the face of the Clarkdale operation. With new, state-of-the-art kiln and milling systems, Phoenix Cement is well positioned to meet the challenges of the construction industry. A new, enterprise-wide information system also improves the accuracy and timeliness of information exchange. Yet with all of this change, the employees and their families are still reminded where Phoenix Cement started, and how it got here. With a constant focus on the customer and a philosophy of continuous improvement, the next five decades promise to be as exciting as the last.